Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Personal Statement: Why I Want to Major in Sociology

There are several reasons why I wish to add a sociology major. One of these reasons is my compassion to know more about societies and why they are the way they are. I also think that a knowledge of sociology would be helpful in the healthcare field, which is what I plan to focus my career in. The biggest reason I want to learn about sociology is that I love helping people. I have so much compassion and empathy for people in bad situations that I plan to spend my life helping people in need. I need to be accepted into the sociology program in order to steer my life in the direction I want it to go.
After I graduate with a bachelors in sociology I plan to go to nursing school and graduate school to become a nurse practitioner. Nursing requires a lot of interaction with people and an understanding of society. No matter what type of position I get as a nurse having a better understanding in sociology would be very beneficial. A sociology degree combined with a nursing and masters degree would be the ultimate combination for excelling in my future career.
After I complete college I plan to join the Peacecore or a similar organization. Having a good understanding of different societies would be crucial to have a strong impact in impoverished areas. This is very apparent to me now because I spent Fall semester in Ghana. Almost every cultural aspect of west african society is different from that of american, which made my volunteer work in Ghana much more difficult. If I gain a stronger knowledge of sociology then traveling and doing volunteer work for extended amounts of time would come easer for me and my work would benefit people more.
I also hope to put my sociology degree to use locally. This year I started to volunteer for a program in a nearby town that distributes food to lower class elderly people. Sometimes when I hand the food to someone who needs it I will see their face up with joy and know that they are grateful. This is a wonderful program that really helps people, just by giving them a few meals every weeks. Working there made me realize how easy it is to make a positive impact on lives. I hope to someday start a social care program to help people locally.
Last Spring I took the class Social Problems & Policy with professor Erica Giesen. This class is what initially inspired me to become a sociology major. I found that I was very interested in social problems and what caused them, and I found myself thriving to learn more. During that class I didn’t have to force myself to do the assignments and reading like I did in my other classes, I actually wanted to do them. I believe that I will find great interest in all sociology classes like I did in that class.
I have a desire to study sociology and if I am accepted I will excel in Southern Oregon University’s sociology program. With a sociology degree I will be able to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a nurse practitioner. I will travel to poverty sicken parts of the world to help people in need. I will be able to start a social care program to benefit people in bad situations. I will do a lot of great things when I acquire a sociology degree, so please accept me into the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment