Saturday, June 6, 2009

Reflection on Death Article

It has taken me so long to reply to this critical reading assignment, because it is a very difficult topic for me. I started reading the article 5 times, each time finding an excuse to not finish it. I believe that death is a topic that needs to be discussed much more in our culture! It is something that many people do not understand well enough, and adds large amount of stress to almost every life.
On most cases, I believe that suicide should not be done, or even contemplated. Life is so short as it is, people need to realize that and try to enjoy themselves and help other do the same, every day. On the other hand, some people are incapable of enjoying life. I believe that people living in chronic pain/suffering should be allowed to end their lives.
I work at a retirement home, which is a place where death and suffering are very common. A couple weeks ago one of my residents attempted suicide. I do not know what this resident was thinking and why she decided to attempt suicide, but I believe that it was simply a cry for help and attention. She has told my co-workers some stories of when she was younger, and she had quite the difficult life. I have always seen her as a very kind person, and I had no idea that she was contemplating death.
Death is a very difficult topic that no one really wants to think about, but should be talked about more and at younger ages. No one can fully understand death until they experience it themselves, but it is important that they have some understanding of it because it is a part of life. We are constantly getting older. Someday, if death is coming slowly and suffering is being experienced, perhaps suicide wouldn’t be such a bad option.

No comments:

Post a Comment