Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mexico

On the cruise to Mexico there were many dining options. Almost every day my cousins and I decided to have breakfast (if we ate it at all), along with lunch in the buffet. For dinner we usually ate in the dinning room with all the family. We occasional ordered room service for a snack or for breakfast (because it’s free and we’re lazy). There was always a large variety of food to choose from, most of which were very unique, and quite exquisite entrĂ©es.
The buffet had a very large selection of foods. There was always fresh fruit, amazing deserts, and many foods to choose from. The presentation of the food was phenomenal, everything was presented perfectly. The unusual foods were made attractive enough for me to put on my plate. I noticed that the food was prepared just as I had leaned it should be in catering class. The fruits and vegetables were all cut consistently into the same shape, and everything was laid out over platters in way that made it more appealing. The quality of the food was higher than that of a typical buffet, and it looked great, but it wasn’t nearly as good as the food in the dinning room.
The dinning room had a large variety of foods from all around the world. Even though I enjoyed some dishes more than others, I was satisfied with every single idem that I ordered throughout the cruise. I tried many foods that I typically wouldn’t have at home (such as Escargot), which I found to be much better than I had anticipated.
I only had time to eat two meals when I was off the ship in Mexico.  The first meal I had in Mexico was lunch in Mazalan.  We went to a somewhat Americanized restarent, I ordered chicken tacos and a margarita.  The tacos were very good, but perhaps slightly too spicy for my taste.  The margarita was by far the best part of the meal, and it perhaps making the food taste better than it should.  The only other food I ate in Mexico was lunch in Cabo San Lucas.  I had Shrimp Fajatas at a resturant called the Shrimp Bucket.  Both meals were good, but I didn’t find them to be much better than the Mexican food in Eugene.  One big difference that I did notice, was the alcohol (18 is the legal drinking age in Mexico).  Their tequela is exelent, quite superior to most of whats available in america.  I also loved the margaritas, they were very strong, and made with fresh ingredients.  Throughout this cruise I experienced many cultural, and traditional foods which were new to me. I enjoyed and learned very much from this culinary experience.